Sunday 8 May 2011

CDNW Women's Road Race and National Junior Women's R.R. Champs

We set off for 12 laps of the Bashall Eaves short circuit. The circuit has plenty of sharp bends and I was praying the rain would hold off.

Within the first couple of laps I attacked and found myself off the front. A couple of other girls joined me but we were quickly brought back.  Second lap and Charlotte Colclough attacked up the slight hill (well we'll call it that for the purpose of this race, but it was more of a very short incline). I jumped and went with her, but we were brought back.

Things continued with attacks coming all race long but with no one managing to stay away for too long. Then with 5 laps to go Lucy Garner of Motorpoint had a dig and was chased down. I saw my chance and attacked again on the short incline of a hill. I checked behind, hoping to see a couple of others come with me, but no one was there. I had a gap and I was on my own. I was committed now. All I could do was keep going. After one lap I had 55 seconds on the bunch but by the second lap my lead had decreased to 20 seconds and second time past the start-finish, I had just 15 seconds.

Great photo here!

I was eventually caught with 3 laps to go, after spending just over 2 laps out front on my own. With 2 laps to go, the rain started. The sharp left hand bend after the finish proved the difficult one, with several riders coming down. I then had a chase to get back on, being the wrong side of the crash.  Then with the bell lap everyone seemed to be extra cautious of the slippery conditions and moving up proved more difficult. I found myself in the middle of the bunch as we rounded the last corner. I made up what places I could, coming past several people, to eventually finish 18th.

Iona

No comments: